Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Confession from a Recovering Grump

There is smoke in the air and I'm grumpy about it. It is clear that I am in serious need of an attitude adjustment. And then I pause long enough to remember some of the many ways in which my life is blessed beyond measure. I have family and friends who love me, meaningful work to do with a whole congregation of faithful and caring people, a beautiful place to live, the resources to travel and do what I want to do, a lovely home in which to live, and on and on the list could go. I suppose that getting grumpy from time to time is a normal part of the human experience, but I find that it doesn't serve me well to let it become my normal response. It keeps me from living into my calling as a loving, caring, compassionate human being. My favorite singer/songwriter, Carrie Newcomer, posted a reflection on her Facebook page the other day. I found it to be a powerful and eloquent reminder that I can always make a difference. But I have to be intentional, and it helps if I'm not grumpy.

- Pastor Roger  
(keeping my feet firmly planted in the flow)

- - - - - - - - - -

Somewhere someone needs help. 
If you can't get there yourself,
Take a deep breath.
Breathe in. 
Hold that someone in your heart.
Lighten the weight of their troubles.
Breathe out.
Open your heart.
Release what you cannot change.
Send calm and courage 
And human connection.
For the nights can be filled with shadows,
And sometimes the waters rise.
Someone Somewhere needs help. 
Send love.
It matters.


~ Carrie Newcomer

No comments:

Post a Comment